Friday, September 2, 2011

First farm casuality

Tonight Larissa and I went out to put the chickens in and feed the rest of the animals. She decided to check the nests ( no idea if that's really what they're called. I was educated earlier via text from Jay that they are in fact not called roosts where they lay eggs!) anyways we fed everything, closed up the coop and Larissa wanted to check the nests one last time today for eggs since we have some cannibalistic chickens who eat them. She found two eggs and a hen in the nest. I told her not to disturb it, which she didn't. When she came out she explained to me that she thought the hen was dead. I asked her why she thought that and she visually showed me the difference of what a laying hen looks like vs a dead hen. It was rather comical actually! She was quite concerned tho and asked that I send jay a message since he was at the West high football game. I told her I would hence, the education of roosts. She really pressed me to let her get a flash light and check it out herself but I refused. I told her daddy would check when he got home.
Jay got home after the game and going to 7-11 to fulfill my latest pregnancy craving, Icee's! I reminded him to check the chicken status and he did. Sure enough, it was dead. He put it in a bucket and is hoping critters will leave it alone until tomorrow so he and Larissa can bury it if she wants.
I was having a conversation the other day about farm kids with a friend and with my sweet mother in law before she left. We came to the conclusion that we believe that farm kids are more grounded. They have a more natural view of "breeding" so to speak and of death as well with all they experience. I think I might have a hard time moving back into the city after our awesome stint squatting at the farm! We've only been here a week and I'm loving it here. Now if I could only find the tables in the house and it didn't look like I am living in a box manufacturing plant that vomited everywhere, we might really be on to something!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you guys are loving it out on the farm! What a fabulous experience for everyone. So glad you are back to blogging!

    ReplyDelete